Happy 4th July America! On American Independence Day Mara Abbott dominated the queen stage of the 24th Giro Rosa by taking over the pink jersey. The 27 year old from Boulder and 2010 Giro d’Italia Internazionale Femminile winner, had no rivals in the Varazze-Monte Beigua stage. She arrived at the finish line 1’44“ ahead of the surprising young Francesca Cauz (Top Girls Fassa Bortolo) and 1’49“ ahead of the veteran Fabiana Luperini (Faren Kuota) and 1’51“ ahead of Tatiana Guderzo (MCipollini Ale Galassia), who confirmed herself best Italian in the general classification. «I’m really happy! I didn’t use special tactics today, I just attacked at the start of the climb. At the beginning Evelyn Stevens was with me, then I forced and remained all alone. Tomorrow? I won’t tell you how I’m going to race, it’s a surprise!» said the stars and stripes captain while summarizing the stage, which finished 1287 above sea level, after a 14 km climb of 8,4% average.
The shortest and toughest stage of this edition has changed the general classification, with Marianne Vos losing 5’15“ from today’s winner. «I knew it would be a difficult day because I’m not at the top of my condition, for that reason in the last days I tried to gain time bonuses at every intermediate sprint. I expected to perform better, but as usual I did the best I can. I’m disappointed to lose the maglia rosa because I really love this race, but it’s not over until it’s over» said the dutch champion, with her usual composure.
Francesca Cauz, the best young rider, was very happy: «I knew I was in shape, I’m happy to show everybody. I want to thank my teammates, my director and all the sponsors. I hope to arrive in Cremona with the white jersey, for them also».
Tatiana Guderzo, now 2nd in the general classification, is satisfied: «I dream of wearing the pink. The last day time trial suits me, but today was a really big effort and tomorrow won’t be an easy ride either. I’m living the Giro day by day, but still aiming towards the big goal».
Italian TV channel Raisport 2 (www.raisport.rai.it) will broadcast a 50 minute summary of today’s stage from 8.00 pm. Tomorrow stage number 6: Terme di Premia-San Domenico, in the region where Elisa Longo Borghini lives.
1. Abbott Mara (USA National Team) 73,300 km in 2h25’25“ average speed 30,244 km/h
2. Cauz Francesca (Top Girls Fassa Bortolo) at 1’44“
3. Luperini Fabiana (Faren Kuota) at 1’49“
4. Guderzo Tatiana (MCipollini Ale Galassia) at 1’51“
5. Gillow Shara (Orica Ais) at 2’38“
6. Hausler Claudia (Tibco To The Top) at 2’49“
7. Vysotska Yevgenia (Michela Fanini Rox) at 3’02“
8. Alena Amialiusik (BePink) at 3’45“
9. Moolman Ashleigh (Lotto Belisol Ladies) at 3’51“
10. Stevens Evelyn (Specialized Lululemon) at 3’51“
1. Abbott Mara (USA National Team) in 13h58’43“
2. Guderzo Tatiana (MCipollini Ale Galassia) at 1’27“
3. Luperini Fabiana (Faren Kuota) at 1’34“
4. Hausler Claudia (Tibco To The Top) at 2’27“
5. Cauz Francesca (Top Girls Fassa Bortolo) at 2’30“
PINK Derma Fresh, General Classification: Abbott Mara (USA National Team)
CYCLAMEN Selle Italia, Points Classification: Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team)
GREEN Saugella, KOM Classification: Cromwell Tiffany (Orica Ais)
WHITE Algida, Young Classification: Cauz Francesca (Top Girls Fassa Bortolo)
BLUE Dama, Italian Classification: Guderzo Tatiana (MCipollini Ale Galassia)